We've all seen the "50 Random Things About Me" post here and there. Well I thought it was about time for me to share a bit about myself too.
Today is my mama's birthday. I know she watches out for me from heaven everyday. I would like to dedicate this post to her.
Happy Birthday Mama! XO
Mama in front of the fridge and my sister Joni is standing up.
Here we go:
1. My birthday occasionally falls on Easter. Since Easter's a floating holiday it's rare but it has happen a couple of times.
2. I used to NEVER leave the house without makeup. Like in "No mom, I can't run to the store and get a loaf of bread now, give me 30 minutes." I've since reformed, big time but I still ooh and ahh over it a lot.
3. I actually went to modeling school when I was 13. Give me a break, it was the 70's.
4. I was a clothes horse with a serious shopping addiction. I still love pretty clothes but on a much smaller level.
5. I was a shoe freak way before shoeaholic became a real thing. I've worn heels since I was at lease 13 years old.
6. Ditto with purses!
7. I can't shop without touching everything. If it's pretty, my hands are on it. It drives Neil crazy. I'm a totally tactile person. I love fabric that has dimension. I love quality.
8. I'm a dreamer. Asleep and awake. I remember a lot of my asleep dreams
9. I love scents. I love color. I love texture. Those are the kinds that make life exciting. When you think of special memories you can almost smell what happened at the time. The colors are vivid in your mind and who doesn't remember a special touch. That's why I love paint - it's so vivid!
10. I never liked mid-century design and I was born in the 60's. *Secret - I'm starting to find it more attractive. Weird. I think I'm just sick of clutter.
11. When I was a little girl I clearly remember telling everyone "when I grow up, I'm moving to London so I can learn to talk like Twiggy".
12. I also remember asking my mother how will I see and know everything in the world before I die?
13. I've dreamed of going to Egypt since I was 6 years old!
14. I love sweepstakes and giveaways. Now that I blog I rarely have time to enter and win.
15. I've won some great prizes including a luxury vacation to the Palace Hotel in San Francisco.
16. I have 4 cats and 1 dog. Was never a cat person and now seem to be the cat lady.
17. In the past I've had bitties (baby chicks), ducks, a rabbit, and 2 raccoons named Rocky and Rockie. I always wanted a horse, giraffe, monkey and tiger.
18. This formally prissy girl has spent years remodeling a 1920's house that I seriously doubt I'll see finished before I die. I've torn out every lath and plaster wall in it and have had some awesome muscles to show for it.
19. I have 1 sister - Joni, and we talk almost every single day. I don't know what I would do without her.
20. I learned to drive when I was 12. Flipped my convertible when I was 16.
21. When I was little I decided I wanted 6 kids, 4 boys and 2 girls to be exact. I grew up and got over that silly thought.
22. I was blessed with 1 truly special son! I would have liked to had at least one more child but it wasn't in the cards for me.
23. I was married young and divorced after just 2 years. With no ill-will feelings.
24. I've been with Neil for 25 years!
25. I'm a grandma to a very sweet and beautiful tween girl and a deeply sensitive teenage boy who's a real cutie pie!
26. I'm an organizing geek who has almost lost her mind being in a house of constant construction.
27. I've never like working traditional 9-5 jobs.
28. I worked in apartment management and mortgage lending for years.
29. I learned to sew from my mother and I'm so glad I did. Sew was a wonderful seamstress.
30. I remember thinking "why the heck would anyone want to blog. I just don't get it". I've been hooked for 5 years! The jokes on me.
31. I've never been shy but I've ALWAYS been insecure. Most people would never know that if they met me. Confidence is not my strong point
32. 98% of the time I see the best in others.
33. It takes a lot for me to be mean to someone. ALOT! But don't take my graciousness and manners as weakness. I just like to think I have a little more class than to be like that.
34. I thought very highly of my previous late mother-in-law, from my previous marriage - Mary, so much so that I still try to emulate her grace. I never-ever heard her say one negative thing about anyone ever. She was the most Godly person I know.
35. I'm addicted to Coca-Cola but doing better at limiting it. What do you expect I am from the South, land of coke!
36. I'm a sweet freak and have been from day 1. I've always been a chocoholic but a little less so now. I could never live without sweets and breads. Bad me!
37. I climb up on the roof to blow it off. It's at least 35 feet high. Pretty good for a girl who gets scared climbing down.
38. During the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays I cry a LOT. Even more so than usual. It's those dang commercials and t.v. movies. UGH....
39. I saw the Rolling Stones in concert at an outdoor arena when I was 14 or 15.
40. I'm a fish!! I have loved the water since I was old enough to walk and fearless when it comes to it. Growing up in Florida - it's a must.
41. I have never had my own pool and it's a serious bone of contention! I'm really tee'd about it and will never shut up about it. It doesn't help that my new neighbor is putting one in as I write this, and my old neighbor that moved from that house just built one at their new home. Well if they can do it in their 70's, I guess I still have a shot at it.
42. I miss magazines a lot but can't justify the expense of them.
43. I have a real pinning problem over at Pinterest. You can click the link to see my thousands of awesome pins!! At least I can save my favorite things without the clutter from magazines.
44. I love fruit! It's wet, juicy and cool. Probably a bi-product of being Southern. In the oppressive heat and humidity of Florida my body craves it. Watermelon, scuppernong and muscadine grapes, strawberries, blackberries, oranges, cantaloupes, and more - I love 'em all!!!
45. For a girl who wants to travel, I've never left the U.S. Still holding out hope on that one.
46. I'm always up for a road trip - even better an plane ride.
47. I could never be a doctor. I couldn't even take splinters out of Ty (my son).
48. I grew up in a small town, but right in the center of town.
49. I'm a beach girl and always will be.
50. My favorite authors are Margaret Mitchell, Harper Lee, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.
51. Needless to say my favorite movies are Gone With The Wind, To Kill A Mockingbird, and Cross Creek.
52. I'm a huge fan of black and white movies. Love anything with Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy and more. Love the movies The Philadelphia Story, Wuthering Heights, Citizen Kane, and All about Eve. I could go on and on.
53. I've battled depression for years.
54. By changing my habits and living healthier this year I've been able to get away from depression meds and learn how to cope without them. I've been off of them for over 6 months now.
55. The only medication I'm dependent on is for sinus allergies. They're a necessary evil living in the South.
56. I love jewelry but don't wear it much anymore.
57. I never had to watch calories until now. I always had a high metabolism and lots of nervous energy. Good thing since I could never give up sweets. I'd rather sweat than do without.
58. I have trouble focusing. I'm easily distracted and all over the place.
59. I love country fairs, long country roads, antiquin' and junkin'.
60. I have just the tiniest bit of a Southern accent. Yeah right!
61. I love clean jokes.
62. I love words.
63. Most of all I love the security that my spiritual relationship of being a child of God provides me.
I'm sure I've told you more than you ever wanted to know about me but that's it in a nutshell. Maybe by the end of the year I'll have some exciting new facts to share. I think I'll shoot for that!
"How so you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog - it's here a little while, then it's gone." Our lives are like a mist. Slow down and enjoy the journey right now.
~ James 4:14
~ James 4:14